Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Kicking things off



Elmer Fudd (1993)


I've always liked to sketch cartoon and comic book characters for fun.  This was just something I did for fun but never took the time to seriously develop. About a year and half ago I underwent a major surgery and had an extended recovery time. This has given me the extra time to work on my drawing skills.



I never considered myself an artist. I have not had any formal training. I just have an internal desire to create. However I am learning that is this is the nature of an artist. I have much respect for the true Artists who can visualize a concept and successfully bring it to life, whether that is in the form of a Drawing or Painting. This is a phase I am working towards.

Early on I made the mistake of taking criticism of my drawings personal and allowed this to discourage me. In this last year I’ve come to realize that had I taken a more active approach to learning technique and practicing when I was younger I would be able to successfully translate the thoughts and images in my head to pen and paper. I say this because I have seen my work improve every day. 

Derek Jeter (Kupka Reference) 2011 
The Elmer Fudd Sketch above is a perfect example. When I first started out I would only draw using cartoon characters as reference because I could see the lines and mimic them. For the Longest time I had myself convinced I could not draw something that was lifelike. I was letting fear prevent me from trying. Not long ago I did this Sketch of Derek Jeter. This was using a photo realistic portrait by artist Mike Kupka as reference.  

My most favorite to date is this sketch of Wonder Woman which I started by using an Alex Ross image as reference.

Both Mike Kupka and Alex Ross use a form High Realism in their work and I admire their work greatly. 


Wonder Woman (Alex Ross reference) 2011
More recently I have discovered Oil Painting and found a way to combine my love of drawing with this wonderful medium. My goal for this blog is to journal my progress, document tips and techniques that I have found and who knows maybe get some feedback from those of you out there who have a similar desire to grow your own talents.


So thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my rambling thoughts….. 

No comments:

Post a Comment